“O” is for Octopus – Last Year’s DIY Halloween Costume

Alright, it’s October 1st…so, in my book, Halloween is just around the corner – I love this time of year! I thought I’d share here the Octopus Costume I made for Baby O last year, incase anyone out there is brainstorming about simple costumes to make for their baby or toddler. I love this costume because it could work well for non-walkers too. It’s also great for boys or girls. I do wish I had better photos of her, and of the construction process itself, but I hope you’ll enjoy what I do have and please post if you have any questions (I’ve finally figured out how to add the plugin that sends readers an email to let them know if I’ve replied to their comment – much thanks to a fellow blogger who posted about it recently! – I think this will make communication much easier.). Soo…here she is in her adorable outfit (random toys in the photo were there to bribe her to stay in one place…you know how it can be!)…

Costume “Ingredients”:

1.) Plain White Onesie (I got a 3 pack of longsleeve “Gerber” ones at Target for under $10.) and a Plain White T-Shirt you don’t need anymore (Raid your husband’s drawer of white undershirts!)

2.) Fabric Dye in color of your choice (I use “Rit” dye and I like to do the method where I dye the clothing in my washer/dryer rather than in a pan. It is much neater this way, in my opinion.)

3.) 4 pairs of Adult Size Socks in the color of your choice (Note: it’s ideal if your socks are close in color to your fabric dye of course.)

4.) Two sheets of Felt (the kind that are under a dollar each, at the fabric or craft store) in Black and White

5.) 1/4″-thick Black Elastic from the fabric store

6.) Stuffing from the fabric store

7.) Scissors, Pins, Needle & Thread or Sewing Machine, Fabric Glue (optional)

Costume Directions:

1.) Dye white onesie and an old t-shirt in Rit dye.

2.) Use a tutorial like this one to make a “beanie” hat using the t-shirt you just dyed.

3.) Use white and black felt sheets to make two big Octopus eyes. Adhere to hat with needle and thread or fabric glue.

4.) Choose one pair of socks from your collection and cut off the foot at the ankle. Fold the cut part under 1/4-1/2″ and use pins to temporarily hold in place (See Figures A & B.) Use a needle and thread or sewing machine to stitch the hem in place (use similarly-colored thread if possible). These are your baby’s leg warmers.

5.) Use stuffing from the fabric store (you can buy a bag of it – it’s the same kind one might use to stuff a pillow, for instance) to fill the remaining 6 socks. Make them pretty full, but leave about 1.5″ at the top. I used pins to temporarily hold in place (See Figure C. Also please see note on Figure C – Actually best to pin and sew closed when your sock is laying flat, with front (toes) facing you.). Sew top of sock closed in a straight line (See Figure D.).

6.) Fold top part of sock down and stitch it, in a straight line (See Figure E.), forming a “loop” through which your elastic can be threaded.

7.) Chase your baby/toddler around to measure his/her waist. Cut your elastic to a suitable length, according to waist size. Thread it through the top of your 6 socks and secure with several stitches in the back, forming a pull-up “belt” for your baby (Added benefit…Diaper changes are easy in this costume!). Note that you can then adjust the placement of the 6 socks around your baby’s waist, once the belt is on.

Have any questions, comments, or want to link to some cool handmade baby/child costumes you’ve made recently? I’d love to see! I hope your week is off to a great start, and that you too are getting excited for the changing of Seasons. XX

Back to top Share this on Facebook Tweet this post Pin This Subscribe by Email
louiseOctober 3, 2012 - 12:12 am

LOVE this idea! This is toooo Cute. I just love it all.

Debbie BishopOctober 3, 2012 - 6:09 am

So cute!!! Now I wish SpiderMan had an amazing Octopus friend! (wait, Drew is going to be Doctor Octopus – do you have it in adult-size bad guy)? : ) Love you!

adminOctober 3, 2012 - 8:33 am

Hi Louise, Thank you – I love your blog!

adminOctober 3, 2012 - 8:34 am

Haha, Drew’s costume is awesome! We should post that here on the blog as well. :-)

RachelOctober 9, 2012 - 1:35 pm

I just had to stop by & tell you that this is absolutely amazing! I have a 9 year son, his favorite animal is the octopus… it’s such a pity that he is too old for this costume :(

adminOctober 9, 2012 - 3:52 pm

Hi Rachel, thank you for the comment – That is so cute that your son’s favorite animal is the octopus! Maybe you could make his costume in a similar way, using sweatpants (in place of the leg warmers) and a matching long-sleeve shirt. You could either buy these colored or buy them white and dye to match. You can make a hat the same way as Baby O’s, just bigger. Then for the “belt” of six legs, you could either cut legs off of old sweatpants, dyed to match the other pieces, OR make them out of fabric (probably more economical). What do you think?

DeborahOctober 11, 2012 - 2:10 am

This is a great costume! So creative, well done! I am going to attempt to make this. I am wondering where you got those socks with the dots?

adminOctober 11, 2012 - 5:20 am

I got the socks at Target (& picked my fabric dye to try to match them). If you can’t find ones with dots, you could cut out circles from colored felt and fabric-glue them on. I’d love to hear how it goes! :)

adminOctober 13, 2012 - 7:15 pm

Hi Deborah, I just wanted to be sure you got this reply to your question: I got the socks at Target (& picked my fabric dye to try to match them). If you can’t find ones with dots, you could cut out circles from colored felt and fabric-glue them on. I’d love to hear how it goes!

DeborahOctober 13, 2012 - 8:49 pm

Hi Jane Marie,

Yes, thanks so much. I’m a DIY newbie (and new mom) so this is my first project I’m going to tackle for baby. The felt is a good suggestion or I might look into some dot fabric and sew the tentacles if I can’t find the socks to save time.

Deborah

adminOctober 13, 2012 - 8:52 pm

Oh that is a great idea too! Your Little One is going to look adorable!

DeborahOctober 13, 2012 - 8:58 pm

Love your blog by the way! :)

JanineOctober 18, 2012 - 1:57 pm

Where did you find the fabulous polka dot socks? I can’t find anything even close? Seems so much easier than making my own suction cups on plain socks!

JanineOctober 18, 2012 - 2:04 pm

Just saw someone else asked this exact thing! Sorry!

JanineOctober 18, 2012 - 2:09 pm

Merona® Women’s Polka Dot Preppy Socks – Assorted Colors

Search that on target’s site and you should find them.
Sorry for taking over your comments :)

adminOctober 18, 2012 - 2:48 pm

Hi Janine, oh that is perfect – thank you! I was just looking for a link to share. :-) I’m so glad you’re planning to make an octopus costume!

[…] pairs of girl’s tights (since I couldn’t find appropriate knee socks, which is what the original costume used) for the legs, my favorite old t-shirt and an old black sock for the hat, and a onesie and […]

adminNovember 1, 2012 - 10:36 am

Oh, I just saw your pingback to the post about the octopus costume and I can’t wait to see your pics! Your revisions sound very clever too. :-)

DeborahNovember 7, 2012 - 12:24 am

Hi Jane, just wanted to let you know that the costume was a hit! It was really hard to find the large polka dot socks but I got lucky and came across some in an assorted 4-pack. I ran out of time and didn’t dye the onesie and hat, I ended up using a matching onesie we already had and I made the hat out of the extra socks from the 4-pack! Baby D even won a Halloween costume contest! I wanted to send you a photo but don’t know how to attach it here. Thanks so much for sharing this DIY costume!

adminNovember 7, 2012 - 8:31 am

Hi Deborah, that is so great!! Thank you so much for the comment – I love your resourceful idea about making the hat out of the socks! So cool that Baby D won a costume contest! I want to see a picture – I’ll let you know as soon as I get it set up so that you can post a picture here. :-) have a great day!

[…] is an Octopus Costume that is very easy to make and looks so cute. Tutorial courtesy Jan Marie […]

NatalieAugust 15, 2013 - 10:41 pm

Hi! This is the stinkin CUTEST costume ever!! I am making one for my son to wear to his Under the Sea themed 1st birthday party in a few weeks time.
I haven’t been able to find any socks similar though (here in Australia) that were affordable, so I’ve settled for slightly shorter alternate plain coloured aqua and dark blue, and have found a onesie to match, so hoping it works. I think I’ll make a headband with 1/2 ping pong ball eyes instead as I know he’ll rip off a hat, and he has the most gorgeous curls that I’m reluctant to cover up anyway.
Thanks for the awesome tute, I’d love to share a pic when I’m done too!

adminAugust 28, 2013 - 2:12 pm

Oh my gosh, Natalie, that is so cute! I would love to see a pic! Will you send me one? :-)

JanisOctober 31, 2013 - 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for this! I made this for my daughter this year and it came out so cute! Pink with argyle knee socks! I don’t know how to send a pic or I would.

LisaNovember 7, 2013 - 9:05 am

Had to stop by and thank you for this creative idea and tutorial! It was a perfect costume for our baby boy. I just shared some pics of his costume on my blog…

Thanks again for sharing!! :)

adminJanuary 4, 2014 - 8:05 pm

Hi Lisa,
Oh that is so neat! I would love to see a photo! XX

[…] DIY Toddler & Baby Octupus Costume: Make an octopus costume for your infant using a onesie, old shirt and matching polka dotted socks. […]

Link Party #37August 4, 2014 - 4:52 pm

[…]  Jane Marie Blog shared this sweet halloween costume! How amazing is that? I love it and how simple it would be to make. […]

[…] special (thank you, Grammy!). Z’s costume is a refurbished version of O’s original Octopus Costume. I just had to dye a new onesie and hat (since the old ones were too small for Z), and I used the […]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *