Handmade Mondays – DIY Teething Guard | Houston Baby + Children’s Photographer

A standard crib rail “teething guard” set (front rail + 2 sides) from Babies-R-Us runs about $50. When Baby O started teething (and subsequently gnawing on literally anything she can get her mouth on), I seriously considered buying one (I just didn’t think it was a necessity yet).

Then one day I heard her laughing after one of her naps and smiled to myself as I went in the nursery to pick up my happy baby…

…I was shocked to find her happily chomping away on her once perfectly white crib railing! Just chipping away and chatting at her stuffed animals, or imaginary friends, happy as can be.

I tried to conceal my concern (though I’m assured that crib paint is non-toxic) mixed with my personal dismay (darn, I wanted the crib to be clean and cute!), and then decided to make this into a game.

With my Little Helper in tow, I found some very simple white fleece (you can find it at JoAnn’s Fabric for $8/yard…& you won’t even need a full yard) in my fabric stash, grabbed a pair of scissors and measured a side rail…I cut a piece to the exact length of the side rail X 10″ wide. I then draped it over the side and cut vertical slits in the fabric in the spaces between the vertical railings. Literally just tie the cut slits together in the spaces between railings. There will be slits cut the width of the vertical railings as well. I just tucked these under, but you could cut them neatly ahead of time, if you wanted to make it look more polished…

My Little Helper (she looks so serious in the photo below!)…

The finished product (on one of the three rails)…

Well, this is how I quickly fashioned a little make-shift teething guard. It sure isn’t perfect, but I think it’s a somewhat clever (or at least frugal) solution to a common problem. The pictures don’t quite illustrate each of the steps individually, but it’s easy enough!

Here’s Baby O and her Puppy, exhausted after only doing one railing side…Time for another nap!

{Happy Monday!}

Back to top Share this on Facebook Tweet this post Pin This Subscribe by Email
RachelOctober 25, 2011 - 8:18 am

This is genius! It always kills me to buy something I know I can make :) Thanks for saving me some “thinking time” and $30 on a store bought crib guard!

MiCHELLE lUBBERSJanuary 21, 2012 - 6:04 pm

I'm new to your blog, Shwin & Shwin sent me over. I already like what I see, I can use this crib rail teether right now, and I even have some fleece on hand I can use! Bonus for breaking out the stash. It looks really cute on your crib.

janefosterphotographyJanuary 23, 2012 - 10:52 am

Ooh, thank you! I am so glad you find it useful…It’s also neat because I can throw it in the washing machine if it gets dirty. I’ve only had to do it once so far, but it worked very well. :-) So glad to get your comment. XX

janefosterphotographyJanuary 23, 2012 - 10:54 am

Oh that is so great, Rachel! I know what you mean about wanting to make things before shelling out money for them, when possible! I hope it worked out well. Thank you for your comment! XX

annieMarch 13, 2012 - 4:23 pm

Is that the graco lauren crib? thats what we got for our daughter. Shes chipped the paint on her 2 side rails (had teeth since 3 months- at 9months she has 10 teeth) The gummy guards were great for almost a month and a half but are liftibg and wobt readhear. Thanks for this i cant wait to try it!

Jane MarieMarch 13, 2012 - 5:01 pm

Why yes, it is a Graco Lauren crib! We really like it. Cute, simple, & sturdy (enough). ;-) So Glad you like the railing cover idea…thanks for your comment.

AimeeMay 16, 2012 - 9:09 pm

I love this! I can’t wait to make mine! :-)

Kari HamiltonJuly 12, 2012 - 1:45 pm

Loved your idea so much that I did this yesterday on my b/g twins’ cribs. One in pink and one in sage. Adorable. Thank you so much for this quick and easy inspiration!

Just saw this on Pinterest and YAY! We have tied burp cloths around the railings of our 2nd daughter’s crib, but this will make for a much nicer looking solution!

New follower – love the looks of your blog!

:) Julie

adminJuly 12, 2012 - 3:22 pm

Hi Kari, Oh that is so neat! I would love to see pics! And congrats on Twins!! Thank you for the comment. :-)

adminJuly 12, 2012 - 3:25 pm

Hi Julie, Oh thank you for the comment! I just checked out your blog and it is so cute and useful too…Mmmm, baked s’mores? Yes please! ;-)

GinaAugust 8, 2012 - 8:51 pm

Hopefully your version works out a little better than mine. I think we got away with less bites than normal… but he still bit through the blanket plenty. And your idea was definitely cuter than mine!

Anne ParrottAugust 11, 2012 - 2:35 pm

WOW!!! This is the best idea!!! The rubber ones ruined my daughters crib! Wish I would have done this! I will try it for my son though! I am amazed! THANK YOU

adminAugust 12, 2012 - 9:47 am

Hi Gina, Oh, that’s too bad…I may have lucked out in that my daughter didn’t seem to like the fuzzy taste in her mouth and it prevented her from chewing. But, that’s a good point that not all babies will be deterred by the same things. I’ll see if it works for Baby #2 as well as it did for O. ;-)

adminAugust 12, 2012 - 9:48 am

Hi Anne, Thank you for the sweet comment! I look forward to hearing how it works for your son! XX

JessicaAugust 16, 2012 - 7:21 am

I just caught my 7 month old daughter chewing on her crib for the first time. It looks like we are off to get some fabric after she wakes up from her nap. Thanks for the great idea. Not only is it cheaper than the store bought guards but it is much cuter!

CasAugust 21, 2012 - 4:27 am

Thank you for posting this. I tried so many things with my son and nothing worked. He still chewed through most things. I am trying this, so hopefully my daughter doesnt do any further damage to the beautiful cot.

CoreyAugust 29, 2012 - 8:26 pm

Thanks! I saw this on Pinterest and it was perfect timing! I tied one on to my sons crib (put a bit of padding underneath with a pipe guard from Home Depot) and wahlah! Thanks so much for the inspiration! I would love to share on my blog, would that be okay?

adminAugust 29, 2012 - 8:42 pm

Oh absolutely! I’d love to see your blog post on it too! Thank you :-)

[...] crib rail protector (SUPER easy using fleece material to cut and tie – I used the directions HERE), making a new matching basket liner for the diaper basket on top of her dresser and….the [...]

[...] found this tutorial on Jane Marie Blog and thought it was a great, simple way to keep your baby from nomming [...]

CourtneySeptember 29, 2012 - 11:17 am

My daughter’s already done a little damage to her crib rails, but I’m still going to try this out. Very excited…thank you!

SarahOctober 1, 2012 - 7:38 am

What a great idea! I’ll have to tell my daughter about this for my precious grandson son.

adminOctober 1, 2012 - 12:24 pm

Hi Sarah, Oh that is great – Thank you for the comment and I hope she enjoys the idea! Congrats on your Grandson! :-)

RuthOctober 13, 2012 - 11:18 am

Thank you for sharing! I saw your idea last night and made it this morning. I found that a fleece throw provides just over the exact amount of fabric needed. The entire project cost $3! And, I did mine with stripes and the crib looks adorable! Thanks again!!

adminOctober 13, 2012 - 7:15 pm

Hi Ruth – Oh my gosh, that is a great idea! I’m so glad you shared here. I’d love to see a photo!

JenNovember 28, 2012 - 11:04 am

My daughter is 10 months and recently started gnawing on her crib as well. I can’t wait to try this! She is also a head banger and the felt will ease my stress of her hurting herself. Thanks for such a great idea!!

adminNovember 28, 2012 - 11:47 am

Hi Jen, So glad you like the idea – let me know how it goes! XX

LyndsayDecember 4, 2012 - 3:45 pm

THANK YOU!!!! We bought 2 rail guards because my child was slowly consuming her bed. One didn’t fit at all, and the other would NOT stick, even with two different adhesives that warned about taking paint off. I saw this DIY fleece one on Pinterest last night, went to Hobby Lobby today, and it’s already on and working BEAUTIFULLY!! Thank you so much!!!

Lyndsay

adminDecember 4, 2012 - 6:56 pm

Hi Lyndsay, Oh that is great!! Thank you so much for the comment. XX, Jane

stefanieJanuary 17, 2013 - 11:15 am

Just curious, how does this hold up in time? Can the children bite through the fleece and hurt the crib wood? Thanks so much, what a clever idea!!!

adminJanuary 17, 2013 - 11:18 am

Hi Stefanie, Good question – It hasn’t been a problem for us b/c I think the taste of the fleece is a deterrent on its own, at least it was for Baby O. But I saw a comment from another reader who said she put a bit of padding underneath hers. I think she said she used a “pipe guard” from Home Depot (now that’s clever!) ;-). I really like how easy it is to take the fleece off and wash it if needed as well. Hope that helps!

Heidi BJanuary 23, 2013 - 8:53 pm

Oh wow! My little Declan keeps chewing his crib. Great idea!

adminJanuary 28, 2013 - 1:07 pm

Heidi, I’m so glad you like the idea. I LOVE your son’s name, Declan. Too cute.

KatieFebruary 1, 2013 - 2:02 pm

Genius! This will be replacing my cloths that are attached with a bungee cord as soon an my daughter wakes up from her nap! :-)

adminFebruary 1, 2013 - 5:46 pm

Haha, your idea with the bungee cords sounds pretty genius too! Thanks for the comment!

HeatherMarch 4, 2013 - 10:14 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! My daughter recently turned into a little rabid chipmunk and started gnawing on her bed! What a great idea for making a cute, decorative, and personalized guard! I went to Joann’s today, bought some clearance fleece for $1 (yes, one dollar) and the guard is already on! Brilliant! Thanks again!

KaraMarch 6, 2013 - 9:08 pm

Love this! Saw her chewing on her crib after her nap today, had this pinned on pinterest and went straight to get the fabric after her nap! I love your bedding too! Did you make that as well? Thanks for sharing your great idea!!

adminMarch 7, 2013 - 1:37 pm

Hi Kara, How fun! I love actually making something from one of my Pins! How did it go? The bedding here is from Pottery Barn Kids (I think it’s called the “Brooke” bedding). I hope (fingers crossed) to make Baby Brother’s bedding, but we’ll see! If so, I’ll have to post pictures of how that goes (since I’m not great at sewing)! ;-)
Thank you for your comment XX.

adminMarch 7, 2013 - 1:38 pm

Hi Heather, Oh my goodness, $1?…You can’t beat that!! That’s awesome that you were able to get it up so quickly. Your rabid chipmunk sounds so cute! ;-) Thanks for the comment!

kimMarch 23, 2013 - 4:43 pm

this is a great idea i have a 20 month old who is still in his crib and the other night he managed to take a small chunk out of the rail of his crib..He worked on it till he got strips of the wood off now a chunk is gone it was on the floor and he handed me a bigger piece when i went in to check on him so he didn’t eat it….This is very easy and cheap.. this should be done early when the baby is a small baby wish i would of done it then now his poor crib is chewed up..We also have a 5 month old with his own crib just bought so we are gonna do this before he turns into a hamster like his brother…thanks!!!!!

adminMarch 23, 2013 - 4:48 pm

Hi Kim, thank you for the comment. I can’t believe he even handed you the chunk of crib railing! Hamster indeed!! :-) that’s a good point that its best to do early, before Baby even starts gnawing. Congrats on baby #2!

MonicaMarch 31, 2013 - 12:52 am

I dont understand very well how you cut the fleece, can you send me a picture that shows how to cut. Thanks

adminApril 2, 2013 - 9:42 am

Hi Monica, Thank you for your comment and for your question. I will try to send you a photo or an illustration soon!

LeslieMay 11, 2013 - 10:33 pm

This is so genius! And you can completely customize it to match your decor, I love it! And also, you have the most beautiful baby! :)

ChelseaMay 12, 2013 - 9:14 am

I saw someone do this same thing but with snaps on a cloth diaper FB page I’m on for our local area and it looked amazing but unless I get a snap press i’ll have to do this! My son has started doing the same thing to his white crib :( he just stands there scraping away the paint not even biting it! ugh! :P definitely doing this asap!

adminMay 12, 2013 - 12:45 pm

Hi Leslie, thank you for the sweet comment! I can hardly believe my baby from this post is already 2.5 years old! Where does the time go? (Little brother will be making good use of this teething guard soon though!) Great point about customizing it to match your decor as well!

adminMay 12, 2013 - 12:49 pm

Hi Chelsea, Thank you for the comment! That is a great idea about using snaps…And I bet a snap press would come in handy! In the meantime, this will be a nice, quick solution to try! So funny about your son just scraping the paint without even biting it…he’ll probably have fun playing with the teething guard too (but with less mess)! Some people here have mentioned the idea of choosing a fleece that matches your baby’s room and I think that would be a great idea as well – maybe something with an interesting pattern for him to look at. :-)

CarrieMay 12, 2013 - 10:11 pm

Hi. Thanks for sharing this with all of us! My daughter is 9 months and just started chewing in her crib. I went to joanns today and bought some fleece. I am concerned that she may still chew with the fleece on and mark up the rails so I think before I tie it on I’m going to put triple layers of receiving blankets on the rails and tie the fleece around it : ) thanks again : )

adminMay 13, 2013 - 12:05 pm

Hi Carrie, Thank you for the comment! The fuzz of the fleece seemed to be enough to deter our daughter, but I suspect it won’t be enough for our now 6 month old son (he already gnaws on everything!). I was going to double the fleece for him. I’ve read some other interesting ideas in the comments section here as well. I really like your idea of triple layering with receiving blankets…You’re a crafty momma! ;-) Good luck with the project & thank you for checking out the blog. :-)

KerriJune 2, 2013 - 3:52 pm

I am also interested to know how you cut the fleece. Thanks!

adminJune 25, 2013 - 9:21 am

Hi Kerri, Thank you for the comment. I just cut it with fabric scissors, in vertical strips…Is that helpful? :-)

Mandi CJuly 2, 2013 - 1:02 pm

Oh goodness you have saved what remains of our crib! AAH! Our little beaver suddenly decided to go to town last night. Thank you thank you!

KatieJuly 16, 2013 - 2:04 pm

Great idea! We have the exact same crib as you! I JUST searched for “Graco Lauren teething rail” online because my little munchkin was chomping away on her crib rail going down for nap. Off to the basement to find some fleece remnants :)

MikaAugust 9, 2013 - 9:48 am

Great idea! Is there any other fabric I could use considering I am not too happy for my baby to chew/suck on polyester?
Thanks!

MikaAugust 9, 2013 - 10:26 am

Also, how much fabric for 4 sides? I know you did only 3 and used 1 1/2 yards? Should I be goid with 2 or better 2 1/2?
Thanks!

LindaSeptember 2, 2013 - 2:01 pm

Thank you! My baby is only six weeks old but I am doing this (way) early so I have something warm to lean over in the middle of the night. Plus, it’s going to really add a pop of color to her white bed with white sheets :)

[...] a step-by-step how to for an easy DIY crib teething guard, and you can find other instructions here and [...]

Jennifer Saranow SchultzOctober 7, 2013 - 11:36 am

That’s such a pretty crib rail guard and thanks so much for the instructions. I may try that with my next kid:) Did your daughter ever try to untie the bows?

For the super non crafty, another crib guard idea is to tightly tie an old swaddle blanket around the rails like we did. I linked to your instructions, and explained my approach, today on my blog of daily hints to make parenting easier and cheaper.

KathyOctober 31, 2013 - 8:45 pm

What a great & inexpensive idea!

JenNovember 14, 2013 - 8:04 pm

Thanks for the wonderful idea! I just made this for my one year old daughter. It came out so adorable and only cost me $4. I used bright pink and green chevron fleece. Such a nice addition to her crib

Kids Rooms: Baby Girl!January 21, 2014 - 8:40 pm

JenniferJanuary 29, 2014 - 3:31 pm

Loved this, and just finished doing this for my daughters crib. It’s pretty, it’s functional, it’s near perfect! Thanks! I posted my results on facebook, with courtesy, of course!
Feel free to check it out!

SophiaFebruary 28, 2014 - 3:00 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. I just made one and it turned out pretty nice. I shared your blog with a mommy’s group on Facebook :)

Thanks so much for this! I just looked up buying crib rails and was amazed at the price. You have an elegant solution that we’ll be trying this week!

[...] barrier was doing little to protect the rails, I knew I had to move fast.  I briefly considered this no-sew method but after Google Imaging fabric crib rail guards, I discovered that I really liked the more [...]

[…] janemarieblog.com […]

[…] janemarieblog.com […]

[…] janemarieblog.com […]

[…] janemarieblog.com […]

[…] because I made it and for cheap! It’s just fleece cut and tied on. I used this tutorial at Jane Marie Photography. Incredibly easy! I saw a cute rail guard that matched my bedding that I wanted to get, but for […]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *